Meeting Alex Gilvarry




I have been so sickly for the past days and so I planned my weekend to only do as much and everything on a Saturday, then sleep until Monday. Before meeting my younger sister Mariane in Hyatt Hotel, I pushed my luck to getting on time to Greenbelt 4 where passing through EDSA to Ayala Avenue in an almost 4PM (Yes, I cringed because I was running late for the book launch) is a little hell. 

It was 4 to 4:20 when I got out of the car. Cameras are almost everywhere waiting for the man of the hour when I'm finally inside the Powerbooks. Knowing I wasn't late, or at least not before the event started, I wanted to give myself a huge you're-a-lucky-ass smooch! LOL

I scanned the area looking for familiar faces and took photos too.



And after a few minutes, a tall guy arrived in suit. Yes, my friends, Alex Gilvarry is cute and according to his lola (grandma), he's single. LOL! Introduction was made about him and his début novel "From the Memoirs of a Non-Enemy Combatant", which most part were mentioned in my previous post. Camera lights started flashing when he finally stand in front of us with microphone on the right hand and water on the left. 


I press the red button on my iPhone's voice memo to start recording and took more photos. It seemed like it was recording okay until the interview is done and I played it. It failed on me and recorded nothing, zero seconds! 


Not even the part where he made everyone laughed with his jokes. It felt like I wanted to kill ugly people!  (Luckily, everyone was looking good LOL) Only because I planned for this post to actually write everything during the interview. I tell you, there were a lot of interesting things in the interview that my memory failed to remember what exactly were asked and said. It was even ironic reading the page before the Acknowledgement part of the book that quoted Coco Chanel's, "Since everything is in our heads, we had better not lose them." 

Oh well.

Let me share to you all the photos I took instead.






It was a fun interview! Alex's grandparents were in the audience and even complimented the shoes that I was wearing that day, they're seated in front of me. ^_^


And there he is, signing my book. :)



 And even more books!
I'm not the best photographer, just yet, but I tried to get the best shots. :D





Travelling home with Mariane was a bit lite so I decided to read a few pages. 


I can barely stop and even looked for high-lighters so that I can be sure to emphasize some points from it. It has always been my thing to re-read books I like whenever I get bored, or internet isn't working on an expected speed. Reading it through is like hearing him, it is so Alex Gilvarry - witty, deep and inordinately funny!


Know more about Alex Gilvarry and what the novel is all about HERE.  
From the Memoirs of a Non-Enemy Combatant is available in any bookstores nationwide. 


Follow Alex Gilvarry on Twitter!


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your account! It may not have gone ideally, but looks like it was still worth the effort.

    Plus yeah, the guy's pretty cute! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rocky

    After realizing he looks really good in person, IT IS worth the effort! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess with the tape recorder malfunction, we are now down to the parts that really made an impact in the book launch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... even if you're not that pro in taking photographs, Mr Alex Gilvarry is so handsome in any angle. I wish I can secure this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this author or this book till now. Thamks. Have you read a good part of the book already? How is it so far?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @FYHMD

    He is a good writer on the rise. Read more about him HERE: http://themanilaurbanite.blogspot.com/2012/09/alex-gilvarry-at-powerbooks-september-15.html

    I'm someone that gets easily bored in reading books, but I dunno. im not done reading it yet coz of my schedule but im amazed and i like his writing skills. He is witty and funny. And mentions of familiar places plus a Filipino being the main character of the novel makes it even more interesting. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love books like most women love shoes or makeup or bags. I'll look for his book on my next visit to the bookstore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so this is THE Alex G.! I've been seeing the attention-grabbing title of his novel in bookstores. Will try and get a peek of his writing. :) Yes. he is good-looking. And YES, you take really good photos. :D

    Anyway, your post has reminded me of my book signing experience with my ALL TIME favorite author, DAVID SEDARIS. Unfortunately, we didn't own a digicam yet at that time, and our old cam failed on us. Imagine not getting a souvenir photo with your IDOL? The PAIN! :((

    MEETING DAVID SEDARIS:
    http://tepmayo.multiply.com/journal/item/37/MEETING_DAVID_SEDARIS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Stephanie!

    Wait, David Sedaris of Me Talk Pretty One Day??? SHUTTTTTTTT UP! haha

    Ohmygaawd! You're such a lucky chic! A friend lend me that book and I fell in love with it. David S is wit and funny too.

    I wanna read your blog about him like right NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, THE David Sedaris! ^_^ Have you read his latest book, SQUIRREL SEEKS CHIPMUNK? He's a genius! Look for a copy...it's less humorous but terribly insightful! 5 out of 5 stars! But my ULTIMATE favorite Sedaris book is still ME TALK PRETTY ONE DAY. Thanks for reading my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Stephanie

    SQUIRREL SEEKS CHIPMUNK it is! I'm sooo buying a copy!!! (and read it after i finished all my backlogs for my blog, LOL!)

    Anytime, Stephanie. And THANK YOU for visiting my blog too! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...